The Town of Triana
Triana was incorporated November 13, 1819 as the second town of Madison County. The community purportedly was named after Rodrigo de Triana, the crewman who first sighted land while sailing with Christopher Columbus on his first voyage to the Americas. Triana was a thriving port through which cotton and other Madison County produce moved to market prior to the building of railroads in North Alabama. Through the efforts of dedicated and visionary people, the Town of Triana was rejuvenated and re-chartered on July 13, 1964 under Mayor Clyde Foster and five council members.